|click images for larger view|
|Image Courtesy The Chuckman Collection|
The Age of the Supply Chain has four basic pillars: automation, standardization, consolidation and, lastly, innovation, in support of the first three. The effects on human beings is variable - they can be liberating or enslaving, degrading or ennobling - but the underlying dynamic is indomitable: producing ever more goods and services with an ever decreasing component of human labor.
Century was an explosive punctuation point in the timeline of the Age of the Supply Chain. Its sheer scale and volcanic energy was as destructive and transformative as a meteor reshaping a terrain as it slams into the earth. Today, that once decisive moment is long dispersed, implied by the void where the massive two-block long Merchandise Building once stood, its small, tall tower, still standing in surreal isolation, looking almost like a toy. Some surviving buildings have been repurposed. Others, abandoned and rotting, are like deposed monarchs who have lost their kingdom and now walk the streets seeking alms.
A Brief History of Sears
Railroads - and the way they could condense time and distance - were the life force of the rise of the Era of the Supply Chain, and they ran deep in the DNA of Sears. Richard Warren Sears was a stationmaster for the Minneapolis and St. Louis Railroad. A commodities trader on the side, he came across a shipment of watches that had been refused by the recipient. He bought the lot at deep discount, and resold it for a handsome profit, sending samples to the other station agents down the road and enlisting them as his agents. Within six months, his new venture had netted him $5,000.
Sears moved to Minneapolis, hired watchmaker Alvah Curtis Roebuck and founded what would become Sears, Roebuck and Company. After sell-offs, failures and restarts, Sears hired a young Julius Rosenwald, who had been introduced to him by a Rosenwald brother-in-law who had made a killing after securing the exclusive soft drink franchise at the 1893 World's Columbia Exposition. If Sears and Roebuck were Wozniak and Wayne, Rosenwald was the company's Steve Jobs, the visionary who would revolutionize mail order. And after that, the iPhone to Rosenwald's iPod, a Robert E Wood, who came to Sears from Montgomery Wards after he became restless with the older company's stagnation, would take Sears towards still one more revolution, this time in retail.
|former Sears Warehouse on Fulton Street|
The New City Rises
In 1904, Rosenwald acquired a huge, 41.6 acre tract of land, 537 feet wide and a half-mile long, five miles west of the Loop, in North Lawndale, described as “one of the best residence districts of our city.” Rosenwald enlisted the architectural firm of Nimmons and Fellows, which had designed his own home on south Ellis, to create a massive complex that would cost $5 million and house over 9,500 employees. E.C. and R.N. Shankland were the structural engineers, Thompson-Starrett of New York the contractors.
Garfield Park branch of the West Side Elevated ran in an alley a block to the north, between Harrison and Flournoy, with stations both at Kedzie to the east, and St. Louis to the west. Within the Sears site, St Louis was eliminated as a street to provide an uninterrupted sweep for the sprawling new complex. For freight, the Baltimore and Ohio's Altenheim subdivision ran at the southern end of the site, connecting the old Grand Central Depot downtown to the Belt Line Railroad at Chicago's western edge and beyond, giving Sears access to trains from 30 different railroads.
On January 24, 1905, construction began, employing 7,000 workers and artisans. Each day, 60 freight car loads of materials were delivered to the site - 30 of brick, 20 of lumber, and 10 of sand, cement, crushed stone and other material. 23 million bricks were used. On one single day, 353,000 bricks were laid.
|Sears Power House under construction|
The cost was $4,282,000. Factoring in equipment brought the price tag up to $5.6 million. The 366,234 square feet of ground area was packed with nearly 2 million square feet of floor space and a total enclosure of nearly 25 million cubic feet. The Merchandise building was 1,100 feet long, built around a central open court 230 by 80 feet. At the rear were two annex buildings, and between them a large rail depot, 60 feet wide, designed to handle up to 200 cars a day brought in and out of position by electric engines. There were two sets of switches, one for incoming freight and one for outgoing.
|Department of Interior, Cut-a-way Axonometric of Merchandise Building|
Across the street, the new power plant had a 6,000 horsepower capacity, with three giant generators and a massive steam turbine. Subterranean tunnels were the nervous system of the complex, bringing both power and water, and tickets and orders via the pneumatic tubes. Next door to the power plant was the steel-framed Administration Building, originally two stories, containing executive offices and clerical operations.
|postcard image courtesy The Chuckman Collection|
|image courtesy The Chuckman Collection|
|Image courtesy of The Chuckman Collection|
All the buildings were faced in dark red brick with trim supplied by the Northwestern Terra Cotta Company.
As architects Nimmons and Fellows wrote for Architectural Record . . .
Given the material at hand for construction and the structural features for decoration, the brick and terra architecture of Tuscany naturally suggested itself as appropriate . . . [and] suggested the addition of color for backgrounds to accent such decoration. Consequently, the lunettes and frieze of the Merchandise Tower are of glazed blue terra cotta; also the backgrounds of the book marks which decorate the Printing Building and also discs of the Power House are of white and blue glazed terra cotta.
San Miniato at Florence. Decorated moldings were avoided on account on expanse and the ornamentation was so concentrated as to obtain the greatest value possible. The sills and lintels were necessarily of terra cotta, used as fireproof covering for the steel, and these are made the chief features in the decoration; consequently, the horizontal lines are emphasized.
The only places where an elaborate treatment in composition was permitted were the top of the tower and its entrance and the main entrances and vestibule of the Administration Building. When one considers that over seventy-five hundred employees pass through these entrances many times each day, the money spent to make them attractive is well invested.A quarter-century before, in 1881, George Pullman had built a company town just south of Chicago so large and so impressive that it became a global tourist attraction, and a popular side trip for visitors to the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition. Now, Sears put it into the shadows. “I believe,” remarked one observer, “you could bundle the entire Pullman plant, including not only the factories but the workingmen's houses, the town market and the theater, into the single Merchandise Building of Sears, Roebuck and Company and still not fill it.”
|image courtesy of The Chuckman Collection|
The Second Revolution: The World's Greatest Retailer
On February 2, 1925, under the direction of Robert E. Wood, Sears opened its first retail store in the Merchandise Building, setting the stage for Sears becoming the Wal-Mart of its day. A second store - which survives to this day - opened in 1928 at Lawrence and Winchester, followed by a growing list of locations in Chicago and beyond. The first year, less than 5% of sales came from retail; by 1931, retail represented half of the company's sales. In 1932, Sears spent a million dollars to make William LeBaron Jenney's landmark 1891 Second Leiter Building its State Street flagship.
|historic photograph courtesy Nadig Newspapers|
On April 12, 1924, Sears grabbed hold of a revolutionary new marketing medium - radio - through the creation of station WLS (‘World's Largest Store’), broadcasting from the top of the Homan Street tower. A week later, it aired the first edition of National Barn Dance, a country music program that soon became phenomenally popular, most particularly with the rural listeners who were key Sears customers.
Sears' low prices allowed the company to thrive even during the Great Depression. By 1937, sales
Sears created its own real estate division, Homart Development, which was a key player in the boom in shopping malls in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, guaranteeing the store a place next to the most prestigious department stores in every city. In 1964, Sears surpassed A&P grocery stores to become, like Wal-Mart today, the world's largest retailer. In 1973, it had 837 retail stores, 12 catalog plants, and sales over $11 billion. It proclaimed its greatness by building the world's tallest building, Sears Tower, even as it was all about to unravel.
Decline and Fall, Sears and North Lawndale
It had been a long time coming. In the decades after the 1906 completion of the new Sears complex, population in North Lawndale more than doubled, becoming, especially, a center of life for Russian Jews, with the Jewish population hitting 65,000 by 1946. Then the neighborhood was hit - hard - by the white flight of the 1950's. By 1960, 91% of the residents were Afro-American. As population boomed, the housing stock came under increasing pressure. Density increased, the population grew poorer, but no new housing was constructed, and the existing stock was often allowed to decay. Martin Luther King Jr. came to live in North Lawndale for a time in 1966 to bring attention to the substandard conditions.
And then, in 1968 after King's assassination, riots broke out, and fires were set throughout the neighborhood, destroying residences and much of the white-owned commercial district on Roosevelt. Owners could no longer get insurance, and North Lawndale went into a calamitous free-fall. The very next year, Sears announced it would build a sparkling new skyscrapers that would allow it to flee the neighborhood, leaving behind in North Lawndale a wasteland that it now made even more desperate.
Even as it moved into its shiny headquarters, Sears was a company beginning to lose its way. It let new mass merchandisers like Target, K-Mart and, ultimately and most fatally, Wal-Mart catch it unawares. Instead of the innovation and vision of Sears, Rosenwald and Wood, the company suffered through holding-ground managements whose brightest ideas seemed to short-sighted cost-cutting and shaking down governments for tax breaks and financial rebates. Growth stalled, sales slumped.
In 1987, operations at the Merchandise Building ceased. A once great company made the news only for its latest failures. Merged in 1993 with a K-Mart one analyst recently called “terminally challenged”, Sears survives less as a retailer than as a real estate play. In 1990's, it closed out its holdings in North Lawndale. In 1994, it sold off the original Sears Tower, and the Merchandise Building was demolished. Around the same time, another massive Sears complex - a 1920 facility in Philadelphia clearly modeled after Chicago, right down to the central clock tower - was wired with 15,000 pounds of explosives and within mere seconds 25,000,000 cubic feet of construction was reduced to rubble.
In a bit of poetic justice, its former North Lawndale site is actually faring a good bit better than Sears, itself, right now. In 1989, developer Charles Shaw began work with new mayor Richard M. Daley to develop a plan to reinvigorate the neighborhood, rebranding it as ‘Homan Square’. The five-stage plan, calling for the construction of 600 new housing units and redevelopment of the old Sears structures, met with fierce opposition from distrustful community residents fearing being forced out by gentrification.
The Afterlife: Road's end along The Age of the Supply Chain
For most corporations, it's one great idea and out. Sears had two, and could have had more, if their institutional memory had endured rather than simply been discarded. Sears stop publishing their "big book" catalog in 1993. The next year, Jeff Bezos founded Amazon.com. As Sears started with watches, Bezos started with books, both of them on their way to phenomenal success through a general merchandise catalog, differing only in the way they reached their customers. If an entrepreneurial character had survived at Sears, it might have seen that the answer was moving their catalog - and their amazing fulfillment system - to the internet. Instead of creating Amazon.com, Jeff Bezos might have followed Sears, Rosenwald and Wood in the line of great Sears Roebuck presidents, and Chicago would have been at the center of it, rather than shuffled off to the sidelines. The great Merchandise Building, already paid for, would have found new life as a booming, integral piece in the new hyper-efficient supply chain. That's not the way the world works, of course, but it's still a highly pleasurable - and informative - alternative reality to contemplate.
Instead, when you walk down Arthington today, you feel the unease of the gravesite. The monuments survive; the inhabitation does not. The unease is felt not only through the absence of people but, appropriately for a company that built its success on the automobile, the absence of cars. Sprawling surface lots and multi-story garages, all completely empty.
|image courtesy The Chuckman Collection|
Note: This article draws on many sources, but here are three of the most important:
Historic American Buildings Survey is an absolutely invaluable account on the Sears complex, its origins and history, as well as its condition in 1994, the year the report was issued, just before the Merchandise Building was demolished. The report includes hundreds of historic and current photographs and drawings.
The 1906 Architectural Record also includes two separate accounts of the complex.
Designing a Great Mercantile Plant, June, 1906, beginning on page 403, Nimmons and Fellows identified as the authors, with numerous photographs.
Read Also: Handsome Allstate, Looking for Good Hands