Brother Leander's mansion at 660 N. Rush, however, endures. Built as a double house for Leander and his son Robert Hall, it was combined into a single residence after the father's 1900 death, and became the storehouse for R.H.s ever expanding collection of fine art. After the son's death in 1917, the building drifted. Started in 1965, it began a nearly 30-year run as the restaurant Chez Paul, and after that, offices for the Encyclopedia Britannica.
Now the scaffolding's coming off from it's latest exterior rehab, and the previous painted cream facade with battleship gray accents has reverted to a more au naturel, uniform, clay-colored appearance. Better or worse?
(Click image for larger view)