We've been spoiled down through the years by another open view of the Auditorium building from the southwest, courtesy of a surface parking lot that's been there since the days when the raptors were dropping off their dinomobiles.
Lillian and Larry Goodman Center, designed by Solomon Cordwell Buenz. The two-level building is essentially a field house to support the university's athletic program. It was jump-started by a $3,000,000 gift from real estate magnate Larry Goodman, founder of the Community Discount store chain. Opening is scheduled in time for the 2012-13 academic year.
view from 1893 shows it as a vacant lot, and a vintage postcard on the Chicago-L website offers a murky view of what appears to be either a single story building, or a sequence of plywood walls papered over with billboards.