A couple of weeks ago, Matt Tinder in AIA Media Relations confirmed that former Vice-President Al Gore's address at the AIA Convention in San Antonio will be closed to the press. Tinder stated that he knew nothing about the reasons why other than it was spelled out in the contract.
Exactly when did Al Gore turn into Antonin Scalia? Exactly what is he telling the architects that the rest of us can't be trusted to hear? ("You want the truth?", the former Vice-President was heard to comment, "YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!") Does it have anything to do with the hostility his appearance has generated among the AIA's more dedicated troglodites?
As a public service, we hereby initiate our own "What's Al Gore Hiding?" forum where we're asking our readers to come up with their best conspiracy theories about the secrecy. The more outlandish the better. We'll even start you off:
WHAT'S AL GORE HIDING?
1. Will admit the whole global warming thing is a scam to maximize his speaking fees.
2. Will warn architects to prepare for global warming causing cities in the American desert to self-combust by 2009.
3. Will unveil a new AIA initiative, based on carbon emissions trading, to create a system for the trading of permits for really bad architecture.
4. Will reveal that Frank Gehry's fondness for titanium and stainless steel is the third largest cause behind the rise in the earth's temperature
5. Will divulge his actual current weight.
OK, now it's up to you. Submit your own theories here.