|click images for larger view|
all renderings courtesy Steppenwolf Theatre
Steppenwolf Theatre Company "campus", which was part of a series of major announcements on the storied Chicago stage's future. Key among these is Anna D. Shapiro taking over from Martha Lavey as the company's artistic director in the fall of next year. Also announced was a major new architectural initiative, designed by Gordon Gill of Adrian Smith+Gordon Gill Architecture with theater and acoustical consultants Charcoalblue out of London . . .
The vision for Steppenwolf’s future plan will expand and unite its campus, adding two buildings that will complement the intimate 500-seat main theater. A new facility south of the main building will house a 400-seat theater to replace the temporary Upstairs Theatre and a Public Square atrium dedicated exclusively to audience engagement and community building. To the north, the newly renovated building at 1700 North Halsted will serve as the Lab at Steppenwolf, housing a black box theater, a flexible space for community and teen programs and offices for artistic, production and administrative staff. The lobby of the existing main building will also undergo major renovation, allowing the three structures to connect seamlessly on the ground floorSteppenwolf had bought the then uncompleted parking garage in 1994 after it had been abandoned by its original developer, along with the 36,000 square-foot lot it stands on.
|seriously - click image for larger view|