click images for larger viewWhile major Chicago institutions like the South Water market have relocated several times over Chicago's history, and others, like the Union Stockyards, have completely vanished, the Fulton Market district, the clearinghouse for meat, fish and dairy characterized nearly a century ago as "a sight to gladden to anyone interested in the trade . . . thoroughly modern in every sense of the word", has endured in its original location, even as it becomes marbled with gentrification.
Loft rehabs are common. Smart boutiques . . .
Showmen's League of America . . .
website photographs, a magnet for beautiful women hanging off its highest ramparts.
Now, however, the Fulton Market is getting a new visual marker, one that will end the district's long isolation from public transit. Morgan Street was one of the original stations on the 1893 Lake Street Elevated line, but it survived only until 1948, when it was among 10 stations closed in an efficiency drive by the recently formed CTA. Since the rebuilding of what is now called the Green Line in the early 1990's, there has been no L stop between Clinton and Ashland, part of a short-sighted rapid transit redlining of the inner city that also saw the demolition of all Green Line stations from Roosevelt to 35th, a nearly three mile stretch. (Efforts are now underway to also reconstruct the station at Cermak, serving McCormick Place.)
design of the new Morgan Street station comes from Ross Barney Architects, which recently completed an award-winning, $100 million rehab of the CTA's Red, Brown and Purple transfer stops at Belmont and Fullerton. $30 million in TIF funding is going towards Morgan Street's estimated price tag of $38,000,000, about what it cost to complete the entire Dan Ryan extension back in the 1960's.
*Direct daylight not available during night-time hours.
Post a Comment